Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Slim Shady LP : Eminem's Debut Album:


The Slim Shady LP is Eminem's first studio "album" and is often argued as his best work and most cunning performance. However, Em's success didn't come from this release alone. Thanks to Eminem's Rise from the Underground: Infinite & The Slim Shady LP we know that Em is intentionally playing a character in hip-hop to garnish attention. This is probably why the The Slim Shady LP starts with the Public Service Announcement-- that is, honestly, a great disclaimer.
The Album starts with an introduction of the artist with "My Name Is" telling the listener that he is playing the role of Slim Shady and he doesn't "give a fuck... God sent (him) to piss the world off." The next track is appropriately titled "Guilty Conciseness" and were Slim plays the 'evil' protagonist telling his various victims to do the wrong thing against Dr.Dre's (more) moral guidance. In the end, Shady wins and the album proceeds into Brain Damage where we get a glimpse of Eminem's personal life growing up in school and at home. 

The next track (Paul) is a voice-mail left by Eminem's attorney Paul Rosenberg asking Em to "tone it down" after he had listened to the "rough copy." The next two songs (6. If I Had... & 7. 97 Bonnie And Clyde [Just the Two of Us on the EP]) are from the Slim Shady EP. If I Had... explains the troubles Marshall has with his life and being utterly broke and raising a child, while 97 Bonnie And Clyde explores the disgust he has toward his 'baby mama' and the love he has for his daughter. 
Telling me to be positive
How'm I 'sposed to be positive when I don't see shit positive?
Know what I'm sayin? I rap about shit around me, shit I see.
- Eminem, If I Had...    
Bitch is the next track/skit with a belligerent female enraged at the 97 Bonnie and Clyde song. Then, Eminem comes in on Role Model (again in true Slim Shady form) saying "I'm going to attempt to drown myself, you can try this at home, you can be just like me!" Track 11, My Fault is then played after being introduced by it's intro Lounge where Slim repeatedly explains he never meant to give the girl he was partying with hallucinogenic mushrooms--which ends up killing her at the end of the song.  

Ken Kaniff, the prank-call skit, comes next introducing Cum On Everybody--which is Slim (apparently) busting a nut on everybody with his "dance song." After the long fade-out Rock Bottom comes in with vindictive wisdom and a dedication to people who don't understand what it's like to be in Em's position, i.e. "broke as fuck."
 
There's people that love me and people that hate me
But it's the evil that made me this backstabbing, deceitful, and shady
- Eminem, Rock Bottom

Track 15 (which is also from the EP), Just Don't Give A Fuck (as a seemingly natural progression) comes after Rock Bottom and is filled with disses that seem to be collected from battle rapping.  
I'll make your freak leave you, smell the Folgers crystals
This is a lyrical combat, gentlemen hold your pistols
But I form like Voltron and blast you with my shoulder missiles
Slim Shady, M&M was the old initials (Bye-bye!)
- Eminem, Just Don't Give A Fuck 
Soap is the last skit of the album and portrays a conflict between two men bitterly fighting over one women. It seems to be introducing the dramatic story that Em is about to tell in As The World Turns. After another long fade-out Eminem comes back in with:
Who came through with two glocks to terrorize your borough (huh?)
Told you how to slap dicks and murder your girl (I did!)
Gave you all the finger and told you to sit and twirl
Sold a billion tapes and still screamed, "Fuck the world!" (Slim Shady)
- Eminem, I'm Shady

With the album one track away from the close Bad Meets Evil plays with Royce 5'9" which is' the album's only other feature besides Em's producer Dr.Dre.  Lastly, the album ends with Em recognizing his insane and outlandish allure, accepting it, and exclaiming that he Still Don't Give a Fuck.

Thanks for reading! 
Please comment, tweet, and give a Facebook like!
You can find Lyceum Recordz on
Facebook, Twitter
YouTube, and SoundCloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment