Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Eminem's Rise from the Underground: Infinite & The Slim Shady EP



The Slim Shady LP was Eminem's first studio album... but not his first release ever. He had already released the underground album "Infinite." Only one thousand cassettes and one hundred vinyls were made and sold by Marshall Mather's himself. However, Eminem (spelled M&M at the time) wasn't getting the respect or recognition he deserved. This might have been because people were claiming Eminem copied (Nas and) other's flow. 
{For example, one of the first things Eminem says on Infinite is "One time for you motherfuck'n mind" which is a clear reference to Nas's 1994 "One time 4 Your Mind" track off his (classic) Illmatic album.}   
"Obviously, I was young and influenced by other artists, and I got a lot of feedback saying that I sounded like Nas and AZ. Infinite was me trying to figure out how I wanted my rap style to be, how I wanted to sound on the mic and present myself. It was a growing stage. I felt like Infinite was like a demo that just got pressed up." - Eminem
Being the ambitious youth that he was--and not giving a fuck--M&M then released The Slim Shady EP which was his first introduction of "Slim Shady," his alter ego. Some of the songs--including Just Don't Give a Fuck, Just the Two of Us, and If I Had...,--made there way onto The Slim Shady LP. The EP helped create a significant amount of underground credibility which would lead to his relationship and first studio album with the famed and accredited producer Dr. Dre

From the very first intro track "Low Down, Dirty" Em introduces his (dark voiced) alter ego. Slim Shady tells the story: 
Warning, this shit's gon be rated R, restricted. 
You see this bullet hole in my neck? ... It's self inflicted. 
Doctor slapped my momma, "Bitch you got a sick kid" 
Arrested, molested myself and got convicted. 
Wearing visors, sunglasses and disguises
Cause my split personality is having an identity crisis
I'm Dr. Hyde and Mr. Jekyll, disrespectful
Hearing voices in my head while these whispers echo
- Slim Shady, "Low, Down, Dirty (w/ Intro)"
 {This can be re-seen in Relapse, where in the first track (Dr. West) the doctor is giving Em bad advise and Em realizes it's "Slim Shady" back to 'haunt' him as Marshall resists. His alarm wakes him up (at 3 a.m.) to the (audience's) realization that Eminem is not necessarily in control.}      


Thanks for reading! Please comment, tweet, and give a Facebook like!

No comments:

Post a Comment