Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The "N" Word


I am in hip-hop today because of Immortal Technique. Before I started rhyming I gave-up on hip-hop as a genre of music because I didn't think it was saying anything of substance and it was only bringing detriment and negativity to culture. Eventually, I found KRS-One who remains my idol and philosophic mentor in hip-hop. (I am talking about his content and influence on society through his music, rather than his lyrical style.)

The blast master Kris taught me a lot (period, but also) about the black community, how they feel about certain subjects, and how their culture has (basically) been stolen by white people without recognition. Due to the respect I have for my idol and being in a genre of music that was created by the black community (and still predominantly black), I feel I owe it to them (yes I'm talking about black people) to do something positive for them because (frankly) they have been a positive influence on my life.

I made this post because I do "hip-hop classics" on karaoke night. I can do a song like Changes by 2pac or Party Up by DMX flawlessly but it becomes exponentially harder if I have to try and skip words like "nigga."

I will write the word nigga because I feel it is acceptable in a literary context to teach. But, I do my very best  not to actually say it (FYI I'm White). Now, black people make a difference between nigga with an 'a' and nigger with an 'er' (the latter is always considered racist) but I actively avoid saying both because racism is the hatred and/or intolerance of other's beliefs. Meaning, I'm not gonna say the 'N' word because I am concerned about black folk and I want to be tolerant and sensitive to how they feel about me saying it.
However, I made this post in order to encourage black artists not to use the word 'nigga' so much. I have a couple videos up of me doing covers of black artists who say the 'N' word. (To be specific, it's Biggie and Pac.) I have edited out all the 'N' words but look at what it did too Biggie's track! Although you're gonna see my mouth move because I actually say the word; I edit it out, out of respect for my black brothers and sisters. I only do covers of artist I respect and admire. And notice I can't properly pay my respects without say'n the 'N' word.

The fact is that the word "nigga" is used within the black community as a term of endearment (e.g. "What up, my nigga?") And, even other races are allowed to say it. Fat Joe is Cuban and Puerto Rican but has used the word consistently when he raps. So, what hip-hop has managed to do is create a word that is a term of endearment for an in-group (non-whites) and an insult for the out-group (whites).

I want black people to know that it is discriminatory and a double standard. But, in light of it's historical connotation, it pales in comparison; and I'm already over it. However, I believe it is necessary for black folk to recognize this because if we are ever going to get over our differences and come together to face bigger problems, we're gonna have to deal with this. Honestly though, white people have a long way to go before that discussion takes place.
To conclude, as a white man I am telling white people it is unacceptable for you to say the 'N' word due to it's historical sensitivity and the fact we haven't addressed the economic and social incongruity that was created by slavery. If you are not a racist you will not use the word out of respect for black people. It's that simple. If you, as a white person, wanna say the 'N' word, first we as a society have to deal with systemic issues of racism that were created by slavery and we still haven't addressed.

Thanks for reading! Please comment, tweet, and give a Facebook like!
You can find Lyceum Recordz on Facebook, YouTube, and SoundCloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment