Thursday, May 3, 2012

2pac's Debut Album: 2pacalypse Now


This post is about 2pac's first studio album 2pacalypse Now which is named in reference to the movie Apocalypse Now. The post was too big to discuss everything here so there are subsequent posts that further explore individual songs.

This debut release is less polished and overly political. From the very first few seconds you can tell who 2pac is talking to, and representing, with Young Black Male. Then, Trapped presents the main topic of discussion and gives the listener a perspective of Pac's life, environment, and philosophy.
You know they got me trapped in this prison of seclusion
Happiness, living on tha streets is a delusion...
Too many brothers daily heading for tha big penn
Niggas commin' out worse offthan when they went in...
Tired of being trapped in this vicious cycle
If one more cop harrasses me I just might go psycho...
One day i'm gonna bust, Blow up on this society
Why did ya lie to me? I couldn't find a trace of equality
- 2pac, Trapped

Track three is a Soulja's Story and about how Soulja (played by Pac) has a brother who got locked up. Next, Pac let's the world know why he's fed up in I Don't Give a Fuck by illuminating the social stigma and antagonism black's face in America (see 'Keeping the Black Man Down' is why 2pac says "I Don't Give a Fuck" for more).

(Source)
In Track five, Violent 2pac tells a story about how he was innocently driving, get's pulled over, and ends up being harassed and abused by the police (after not having his I.D.) until the point of retaliation, which eventually leads to a gun fight (see "Black Violence": 2pac's Violent Track(s) for more).

In track six, Words of Wisdom Pac gives inspiration to his audience by explaining the righteous indignation of those trapped in the ghetto. (See the Words of Wisdom (Track) blog post for more). In this track he explores the definition of 'nigga' exclaiming that he is refering to it meaning "Never Ignorant Getting Goals Accomplished" and "not the 'nigga' we say as if it has no meaning."

Track 7, Something Wicked is a break from the 'real' content and is more of a display of vocal and verbal ability. The next track (8) shows the rough, underground feel of the album while Pac raps about having his finger on the trigger for "crooked ass niggas." Track 9, If My Homie Call, has a break-style beat with an upbeat vibe while Pac flows over about have'n love for his homie/borther(s):
And I, hear that you made a few enemies
But when you need a friend you can depend on me, call
If you need my assistance there'll be no resistance
I'll be there in an instant... I'm down for y'all, when my homies call 

The album continues with Brenda's Got A Baby where Pac explains that single motherhood is a community problem just as much a family problem. (See 2pac and Women to further explore Brenda's Got a Baby and Part-time MothaTrack 11, Tha' Lunatic is an obvious display of lyrical talent, ability, and creation with witty metaphors and punch-lines (pun intended). Timeless lyrics:

See somethin you want, why don't you come and get it
And then get waxed and taxed, like the government
Then I leave you sittin there, wonder where your money went
While your bitch is callin me, tellin me to come again
On the next track the 'lyrical lunatic' explains why he is the Rebel Of Underground:
They won't be happy till I'm banned
The most dangerous weapon: an educated black man...
they tryin to keep me out, try to censor what I say
cause they don't like what I'm talkin bout...

The album finishes with Part Time Mutha where 2pac explains how his "dope feen" mom was (force to be) a part-time mother. He finishes the song taking the roll of a part-time mother. After he sends his girl off, she comes back with a child that he takes care of.

2pac's Words of Wisdom (Track)
2pac and Women

Thanks for reading! Please comment, tweet, and give a Facebook like!

No comments:

Post a Comment